Tuesday, October 1, 2013

Android / Azure

Well, I created a simple azure website and published it out to Azure hosting.  I am able to use PushSharp on the backend to send my Gcm notifications to my phone.  Life is good.

I still need to get the android app to register with Gcm & my server when it starts up.   There is some good sample code available to demonstrate this, so it shouldn't be too much trouble.  The thing I'm struggling with a little bit is understanding Android application entry point.

I have an Activity that is registered to receive share intent from photo gallery.  This is not the same Activity that is marked as my startup Activity.  All the sample code for using GcmRegistrar to set up the client phone with Gcm shows it happening in an activity.  It would seem to make more sense to me to do it in the Application class, as that code seems guaranteed to run everytime, regardless of which Activity is the startup activity.  Anyway, it would probably be better to post this to SO or some place that I can get some help, rather than talking about it in my own private blog that no one reads :)

In non-dev related news:  my wife and I will be go from DINKS (dual income no kids) to parents next week, so that should be an interesting life transition.  It's not a new chapter, it's a whole new book!

No comments:

Post a Comment