Wednesday, December 30, 2020

Low effort networking (the social kind)

Networking.  It's important.  We've all heard about the value of networking.  Some even say that the real value of a Harvard education is the connections you will have made upon graduating, plus access to an alumni network.  After all, are they really teaching math better than any other university?

As a software developer, I had originally thought the value of attending a tech conference came from consuming information about technologies in a classroom type setting.  And I enjoy that.  Oh cool, look, a talk on Clojure and functional programming!  I don't get to use that at work, let's attend that one.

But, as the availability of information continues to proliferate, I find that I prefer to watch a Pluralsight video on a topic of my choosing, rather than sit in a lecture.  I can focus better, and more efficiently consume the content.  So, for me, the question becomes, "What value is there in attending a tech conference?"

On a side note, what percentage of attendees are developers?  There is probably data out there somewhere. One can only speculate.  80/20 rule may apply here.  I'd say at least 20% of attendees are not developers.  That means that when they look at code, they may as well be looking at hieroglyphics.

Ok, so back to networking.  As a developer, if you believe that networking is a worthy endeavor, and you are going to a conference, then who do you want to network with?  Presumably someone with whom you can form a symbiotic relationship.  What do you have to offer?  Maybe your employer is hiring and you can offer a referral.  Maybe what you have to offer is your own development expertise and services. 




No comments:

Post a Comment